The translation process involves more than just opening a dictionary to find a ‘suitable’ word.
As well as identifying the target audience and establishing the context and correct register, a translation that is fit for purpose needs to resolve the frequent dilemma encountered in Italian source texts of how to translate culture-bound words and phrases.
A successful translation must also identify and resolve other problems of cultural transfer – how to translate a source text concept that doesn’t exist in the target culture, or how to adapt culturally incompatible idioms.
- Since I translate only from Italian to English, I can offer you a high level of cultural awareness and language proficiency.
- I take time to assess the correct register for the target text in order to produce the best possible result for a client, and I am always happy to discuss a client’s requirements in detail.
- I take great pride in the accuracy of my work, pay great attention to detail, and always carefully edit and proofread the finished translation; my thesis on neuroscience translation gave me excellent training in QA. I follow the EC English Style Guide (or any style guide of preference).
- My CAT tool is SDL Trados Studio 2021.
- My career background has instilled in me the importance of adhering to deadlines and displaying professionalism at all times.
If you think I could be the right person (Home or About Me) to help you with your project requirements, please do get in touch using the Contact form, also found on the Menu bar. For confidentiality and copyright reasons I haven’t included any examples of my work on the site, but I would, of course, be prepared to do a short translation test for you.
I would be delighted to send you my full CV, rates and a quotation for your translation requirements. I look forward to hearing from you.
Annette Evans MA AITI
Italian to English Translations